Carson City Leadership Institute Class of 2019 BEElieves in Carson City
Help us protect the pollinators by donating to our BEE HABITAT project
In October 2018, Carson City became the 76th member (and first in Nevada) of the Bee City USA movement with a Resolution outlining how Carson City would actively support developing bee habitats and using Integrated Pest Management, along with other tactics, to promote pollinator consciousness and help increase bee populations in the city.
According to Bee City USA:
“1 in every 3 bites of food we eat is courtesy of insect pollination. Equally important, 90% of all wild plants and trees rely on pollinators for the survival of their species. Not surprisingly, in 2007 when honey bee colonies started disappearing, later dubbed “Colony Collapse Disorder,” beekeepers and non-beekeepers alike became very concerned. While less is known about native bees and other pollinators, we do know that entire species are disappearing at alarming rates as they battle most of the same enemies as honey bees—loss of habitat essential for food and shelter, diseases and parasites, and inappropriate pesticide use.”
The Carson City Leadership Institute class of 2019, as with all Leadership Institute classes, was tasked with coming up with a project that we would carry out by June 2019 and that would positively benefit the community here in Carson City.
Our class decided our project would reflect our appreciation of Carson City’s important commitment to the health of bee populations and therefore, the health of our community. We intend to design, construct and erect a large bee hotel in one of Carson City’s open spaces and host an educational event in conjunction with the unveiling of the finished hotel.
The bee hotel and unveiling event will benefit the community by:
- providing a place for the cavity-nesting leafcutter bee in a world where loss of habitat has had a major and negative impact on bee populations;
- creating a physical structure that will not only serve as a bee hotel and example of what is possible, but also incorporate permanent educational elements for those who visit the bee hotel;
- offering a kid-friendly educational event to introduce children to the plight of bees, their importance in our lives and how to make a small bee hotel for their own yard or garden.
Fundraising Goal: $5,000
We are very excited about our project and WE NEED YOUR HELP TO MAKE IT A REALITY. Our goal is to raise enough money to purchase the necessary materials, construct the project, market the project for community awareness and create educational opportunities for the community. Our bee hotel will be designed for leafcutter bees; they are solitary bees that are considered family friendly and pet safe.
BEE recognized by donating now!
- All who donate will be recognized by name on a plaque at the structure’s site. No donation amount too small… or too large!
- Donate $250 or more and receive a dedicated plaque on the structure for your business’ name and logo and/or a special message to the community.
Graciously acknowledging our financial partners:
Carson City Fire Department
Carson Tahoe Health - Super Donor!
CASI Carson Animal Services Initiative
Yellow Petal Flower Farm
De De Rosene
Have questions? Need more information? Please contact
(Angela Holt - Angela.Holt@wnc.edu) and (Eddy Quaglieri - EQuaglieri@carson.org)